Design, develop, and deploy feature-rich Magento online stores with PHP coding.
- Extend and customise the Magento e-commerce system using PHP code
- Set up your own data profile to import or export data in Magento
- Build applications that interface with the customer, product, and order data using Magento's Core API
- Packed with examples for effective Magento Development
- In more detail
Magento is the most powerful e-commerce solution around and has gained popularity in a short period of time. You can create and manage online stores using the extensive suite of powerful tools it offers. However, because of its powerful features, developing with Magento can be easier said than done.
This book will show you how to develop better and do more with the Magento. You will be able to extend and customise modules for the Magento system without editing the core system code. It will show you how to create both basic and advanced functionality modules for your store and help you turn your ideas for extending Magento into reality by building modules from scratch.
This book starts by walking you through the server requirements for installing Magento making sure Magneto’s installation and upgrade process can fit into your workflow and suit your hosting environment setup. Then it runs through the architecture behind Magento’s system, covering the core file structure and how the template system works. You’ll also learn how to build a basic shipping module, payment module, and a brand management module for Magento. As you delve deeper into the book you will learn how to integrate your favourite CMS into Magento for data portability.
By the end of the book you will be able to take your basic knowledge of Magento and turn it into something advanced that will help you develop turn your ideas for extending Magento into reality.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and upgrade Magento to get ready for development
- Get familiar with the architecture and internal structure of Magento
- Learn about the best modules available and what they can do for you out of the box
- Build a Shipping module for your Magento store to give users options for receiving their items once they have paid for them
- Create a payment method for Magento and the various aspects that go together to complete the payment process
- Speed up your module creation process using the Module Creator script
- Build a basic brand-management module for Magento to manage brands and display their details
- Integrate your favourite CMS into Magento including a walkthrough of integrating WordPress into Magento
- Create, update, delete, and retrieve customer data from within Magento by implementing the customer API
- Integrate Magento data into an existing external web application or script using the Magento Core API
- Import/export files to retrieve and store information from and to external sources using Excel Spreadsheet or CSV data
- Chapter 1: Magento: Developer’s Guide
- Chapter 2: Installing/Upgrading Magento and Preparing for Development
- Chapter 3: Magento’s Architecture
- Chapter 4: Building a Shipping Module for Magento
- Chapter 5: Building a Payment Method for Magento
- Chapter 6: Basic Modules to Extend Magento’s Functionality
- Chapter 7: Fully Featured Module with Administration Panel
- Chapter 8: Integration of a Third-Party CMS
- Chapter 9: Magento’s Core API
- Chapter 10: Importing and Exporting Data
This book is a practical tutorial, filled with examples, aimed at people with no experience of programming web sites using the Magento system.
Who this book is written for
If you are a PHP developer who wants to understand the architecture of Magento, learn how to extend the system with PHP code, add new features, and integrate Magento with a third-party CMS, this book is for you.
You are expected to be a confident PHP 5 developer. No experience of Magento development is expected, although you should be familiar with the operation of Magento. No experience of the Zend framework is expected.